Spring rolls are is an Asian cuisine that can be a vegan’s meal! If bought from a Chinese Restaurant they are normally deep fried, but they can also be made in the oven. Their is many different combinations you can put in a Spring Roll, so don’t be afraid to experiment. An easy to make vegetarian recipe that takes about 45 minutes to make enough for 16 rolls.
Ingredients (Imperial system in parenthesis) :
- 25mL (2 tbsp.) Soy Sauce
- 25mL (2 tbsp.) Vinegar
- 25mL (2tbsp.) Vegetable Oil
- 10 mL (2 tsp.) grated Ginger root
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 500 (2 cups) Bean sprouts or shredded cabbage
- 2 stalks of chopped celery
- 2 grated carrots
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 of a Sweet Red Pepper, finely chopped
- 4 sheets of phyllo pastry (can substitute with Egg Roll Wraps, make sure to double check if the ingredients are vegan!)
- 25 ml (2tbsp.) melted butter or margarine
- Measuring cup and spoons
- chef’s knife
- large bowl
- small bowl
- wooden spoon
- cookie sheet
- tea towel
- Turn on oven and set it to 370~ºF (140ºC). Grease the cookie sheet
- In the small bowl, mix the soy sauce, vinegar, vegetable oil, grated ginger root, and garlic. In the large bowl place the bean sprouts, celery, carrots, red onion and sweet red pepper.
- When the small bowl is thoroughly mixed, pour the mixture into the large bowl. Sternly mix the ingredients together.
- Place the sheets of phyllo pastry on the counter, cover in plastic wrap and a damp tea towel. (If using egg roll wraps skip to step 6)
- Remove 2 sheets of phyllo, brush one sheet with melted butter/margarine. The second sheet on top, use a knife to cut the 2 sheets into 8 rectangles. [Cut the strip in half lengthwise, then cut each strip 4 times to make 8 rectangles]
- The measurements in this step can be estimated, place around 1/4 of a cup of the vegetable filling into each rectangle.
- Fold 3 side corners, so it looks like an open envelope, then roll up the last corner. This part takes practice!
- Cook for 20~ minutes or until it is a nice crisp brown color. Let it cool and enjoy!